Thursday, November 22, 2018

Chilling at King Spa

updated November 22, 2018

I go to King Spa almost monthly. It feels like a vacation, because it's such an uncommon-to-me atmosphere and I leave feeling good, body and soul.

By uncommon-to-me, I mean that it is a Korean-style spa. Most of the staff seems to be Korean. The televisions are tuned into Korean programs. Most of reading materials are in Korean. I’m not Korean. That said, it feels as common-to-me as going to my neighborhood pool. Little kids try to swim in the hot tubs (to the annoyance of some). There are signs telling us the rules and minders, a combination of lifeguards and librarians, making sure we observe them, rules like no water in the hot rooms and only whispers in the hot tubs. There are lockers, towels, showers, and what I call a concession stand, but with tasty, healthy Korean/Asian food. No hot dogs here.

If you’ve never been there, I wholeheartedly encourage you to go.
Here’s some tips.

* Entry costs $40. Discounts are available via coupon sites and on their website, but I think the best deal is found next door at Super H Mart. Their customer service desk staff sell passes for $24 each, if you give them cash. Note that while the spa is open 24 hours, the customer service desk closes at 9 p.m., last I checked.

* The locker key issued to you includes a fob that allows spa staff to track your purchases — food, slippers, facial masks, plus facials, massages, scrubs and other services. You’ll pay for those items on your way out.

* Hot tubs are not co-ed. They’re accessible only through locker rooms and include lots of nakedness. If one is not used to this, this can be challenging at first. To me, the scene by the hot tubs is like an impressionist's painting. This I believe: a) If any of the other women in and around the hot tubs looks at you at all, it won't be for too long. No one there cares much about your looks. b) You won't have the most unusual, noteworthy body in the place.

Before going into the cool tub, spend as much time as you can in the hottest tub. If you do that, the cool tub will feel refreshing, not freezing.

A Korean women long acquainted with the hot-cold system of recommends continuing to move in the hot and cold tubs to help the toxins leave your system and keep your joints nimble.

* Hot rooms are co-ed. You’ll be issued blousy shorts and a top. No one looks good in them, but no one looks bad either.  No dust or dirt on the floors, but in the hottest rooms, those floors get very hot, so wearing socks is a good idea.

I hope you’ll go and enjoy it.

[ Photos courtesy King Spa's website ]

No comments:

Post a Comment