Sunday, September 24, 2017

Getting out of the bubble: What are your limiting beliefs?

Evanston community leader Joi-Anissa Russell and I have been having a continuous conversation for more than two months now about “limiting beliefs”. She has some. I have some. Most of us do. They can affect us in very personal ways and as a society.

One glorious day I realized I'd busted one of my myths that had been rattling around in my head. My little story goes like this:
When I was in high school, I'd take the el to the Art Institute of Chicago to see the art. I'd be told not to go any further south than that. I'd gone to the AIC many times, so I was told this many times.
I don't remember the day it happened, but I went further south. It was no big deal. There was no physical line. It just happened...or rather nothing happened. Nothing at all.

It had been built up in my mind that the south side of Chicago, being the baddest part of town (tip of the hat to Jim Croce), was gray and dismal. Instead what I noticed was that the sun shines there too, and nothing was black and white.
Joi and I are planning on including more folks in our conversation. We'll let you know more as soon as we know more.

In the meantime, start your own conversation.

For a chuckle and some insight, check out what Theo E.J. Wilson had to say during his recent TED Talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment