Monday, August 6, 2018

Meet Rotary's Michele Berg

That's Michele with one "L".
Michele Berg, as Susan Trieschman discusses
restorative justice and her passion for Curt's Cafe
at one of the Rotary Club of Evanston's
Thursday lunch meetings.



Maybe you've already met Michele Berg. Maybe you met her at an Evanston Fourth of July parade. She'd have been there marching with Rotarians. Maybe you met her at a Evanston Community Foundation gala. She's on the foundation's board. Maybe she seems familiar, because last year you read about her in Evanston Woman magazine.

By day, Michele Berg is the deputy general secretary for the Evanston-headquartered Rotary International, the second highest ranking person in the organization.

In 2009 she doubled down and joined the Rotary Club of Evanston. She was the only RI staffer in the club at the time. She became a Rotarian during fellow Rotarian Dick Peach's first stint as club president. On July 1, Dick ended his second term as president when he handed the gavel over to Michele.

As a fellow club member, I was curious about what was on Michele's mind as she took the top post in our club.

Here's what I learned.

Q: What do you especially enjoy about your job at Rotary International these days?

As Deputy General Secretary, I have a broad portfolio of work including Global People & Talent, International Operations, building operations of our world headquarters, support for Rotary Board/Trustees and audit. I also have the opportunity to represent the General Secretary at events locally and internationally. I enjoy the variety of the role and the ability to work with people from all around the world.  

Q: What’s on your mind as you begin the next Rotary year as president of the Rotary Club of Evanston?

Our club has a rich history and is made up of enthusiastic, dedicated volunteers. I’m proud to lead the club as the 100th president, but certainly I can do nothing alone. I’m grateful for how many individuals have stepped up to plan service projects, invite compelling speakers, promote our activities on social media, and work on member events. I hope we continue to have fun and contribute to our community at the same time.


Q: Years ago you and I collaborated on inviting guest speakers to our weekly lunch meetings. I enjoyed working with you on that. I especially appreciate your equanimity and intelligence. I think you’re going to be a great president.

As club president, do you have any specific goals you’ll be focusing on this year?
 
Thanks, Karen! So kind of you.

The Rotary Club of Evanston has a strategic plan with goals to increase membership, focus on a signature fund raising activity, focus on a signature service project, and improve our public image. As club president, I certainly want to support our strategic plan and keep us on track for a successful year. Other than these goals, I’m hoping to engage as many members as possible in club activities and get us ready to celebrate our 100th year. 





Q: What inspired you to join our Rotary club years ago?

I’ve been involved in Rotary for over 20 years as a member of the Rotary International staff. I believe in the mission and I see the impact the organization is having to create lasting change in our communities and in our world. I wanted to join the Rotary Club of Evanston, because I wanted to get more involved in the community. I live and work in Evanston and am raising a family in Evanston – I thought it was important to be involved and connected. 
 
Dick Peach and Michele Berg at the
annual transition party at Rotarian
Elio Romero's Chef's Station.
#peopleofaction



Q: Any of us can conjure up some "good" reasons to NOT serve as club president, but what ideas coaxed you into taking the gavel this year?

A Rotary club is run by volunteers and someone needs to step up to lead the club each year. And Dick Peach asked me. As we both know, in Rotary you just say yes!

Q: What does your family think of you taking on the role of club president or should I ask them myself?

Ha! Definitely ask them, but if I had to guess... I met my husband working at Rotary International, so my family has grown with Rotary always in the mix professionally and personally. I’ve always involved them in service projects and some of my travel for work. They understand that Rotary is about helping people, so they are supportive of all that I do with Rotary.

Q: You’re one of the leaders of your family and Rotary International. What lessons learned in those roles do you expect to make use of as you lead our club?

Delegate! I am grateful to have a great team in my family, at work and in the Rotary club - I’m surrounded by wonderful people, so it is really about having a goal and then working together as a team to reach our goals.

Q: What would you like more people to understand about being a Rotarian?

I hope people understand that being a Rotarian opens a network of 1.2 million other Rotarians who are all committed to working together to bring lasting change to our communities and around the world. It is a powerful group – we are literally changing the world with our efforts in polio eradication, water and sanitation, peace, economic development, maternal and child health, education and literacy, disease prevention and treatment. And we work locally in Evanston as well – community grants, scholarships. We need more hands to do good work – anyone interested should come check us out!  Like our Facebook page or come to a meeting – we meet Thursdays at 12:15 at Rotary International, 1560 Sherman Avenue in downtown Evanston.
 
To take up MIchele's offer of lunching with
the Rotary Club of Evanston,
RSVP to her via email.

Michele Berg plants a tree with her daughters at Evanston's Harbert Park
in May. One of Rotary International's goals for last year was for

1.2 million new trees to be planted, one for every Rotarian in the world.
The Rotary Club of Evanston pitched in.




2 comments:

  1. What a great tribute to a great Rotary Staff Member, Great Leader, Great Rotarian and Great Person. So pleased to see Michele recognized in this way for all her great work with Rotary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Respected President Michele Berg,
      A big slute for your passion for serving Rotary in all ways.I have learned about your goal settings in the year.Your enthusiasm and commitments will surely lead RC Evanston to new heights.All wishes and prayers
      Yours in Rotary,
      Rotarian PHF Shibu peter, Rotary ID 5166645, R C Palai, District 3211, India.
      shibup770@gmail.com

      Delete