Monday, December 23, 2019

StoryCorps adventure with Dan Coyne

I'm still laughing a little at Dan Coyne, and life in general.

"I'm an open book," he claims.

Yeah, but it depends on what page the book is opened to, I say.

Around Evanston, some know Dan has the guy who covers the city council meetings live for Evanston's Facebook audience.

Others know Dan has a Ridgeville Park District board member and an active member of Reba Place.

A few know him as the guy that donated a kidney to his favorite grocery store clerk approximately 10 years ago. That is where we started our conversation in the StoryCorps booth at the Chicago Cultural Center on September 21, 2019.

I learned that he moved to Evanston from Portland, Oregon and grew up in Toledo, Ohio.
He has O- blood.
Rotary played an important role in his life early on. 
It wasn't until the end of our conversation that I learned something very surprising, not covered in any press about him.

I appreciated the trust he gave me. I'm in awe of his grace and equanimity.

Give us a listen here.

✿*•.¸¸.•*✿*•.¸¸.•*✿*•.¸¸.•*✿

Media coverage of part of his story:

February 7, 2010 - A surprising transplant offer

June 15, 2010 - Man honored for donating kidney may lose job

July 1, 2012 - A gift of life...

October 7, 2014 - Kidney donor's CPS job in jeopardy--again (video)

December 22, 2015 - CPS fires social worker who donated kidney to stranger

December 22, 2015 - Termination of School Social Worker Raises Questions about Residency Rule, Caseload

No comments:

Post a Comment